- * quinces
- * sugar
- * water
- * 1 puff pastry
- * crushed crisp bread
★ Stewed Quinces
- Quarter your quinces, core them, and dice them.
- Place them in a large saucepan with a few centimetres of water in the bottom. You don’t need to cover the quinces, but you do need to stop them from sticking to the bottom.
- Boil the quinces several hours, until the pieces turn mushy and pinkish.
- Sweeten the quinces by adding a few tablespoons of sugar, stir to dissolve, and then taste until you’re satisfied.
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Butter your tart tin and place your puff pastry.
- Mash some crisp bread over the pastry and cover it (as well as your mashed crisp bread) with a little caster sugar.
- Spread your stewed quinces uniformly and quite thickly if you’re a bit greedy.
- Sprinkle some caster sugar again.
- Bake until the top of the tart looks a little bit caramelised.