The 14th of July is a day I hold dear every year. The French national day has always had a way of bringing everyone together back when I was still living in France, friends and family. Everyone would be looking forward to the very special occasion, the day-off eagerly awaiting the fireworks. In my family and with my friends, Bastille Day has always been about the little things, like baking some patriotic treats all day long, and getting together as much as possible to feel the unity, stronger than it normally is. Bastille Day’s always been about these special little things we do…
Now living across the Channel, I haven’t given up on any of those simple traditions. Of course, I cannot see and reunite with my friends and family on the day, but a patriotic feeling still gets to me, more than it normally does on a day-to-day basis. This year, it found itself in my breakfast bowl – a fresh, French-looking hearty bowl tasting like escapism.Print
- * 40g rolled oats
- * 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- * 1/2 cup of blueberries
- * 3 blackberries
- * 4 medium strawberries
- * 3 raspberries
- * 1 banana
- * 1 tsp of shredded coconut
- * a few almonds
- Pour the oats in a bowl as well as the coconut milk, and let them soak while preparing the fruits.
- Add a few almonds on top of this mixture.
- Arrange the fruits on top of the oats, starting in the middle by arranging the banana bits (I gave the, lovely hearty shapes here on the occasion of the French national day), and from left to right arranging the blueberries and the few blackberries on top, followed by the strawberries and the few raspberries on top.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of shredded coconut on top of the banana bits, and it’s ready!