It’s Friday. It’s been a long and busy week and it’s finally over. Now back from the horrifying hustle of the bus and train journeys going all the way from King’s Cross back to west London, all I’m craving for is a fresh and nourishing salad.
I’d made some mashed beets with a sweet potato earlier in the week and kept it in the fridge, as well as about a cup of cooked rice. ‘And there I go’, I think. ‘Let’s mix these together and put some purple magic into this pale bowl of rice!’ I take out a few other appetising thingies in my fridge and let my Friday night creativity express itself. Bibidi babidi boo – it’s given birth to a fresh & nourishing beet rice salad, covering a nest of spinach leaves, and topped with half an avocado, blueberries, blackberries, and poppy seeds.Print
– a fresh & nourishing beet rice salad, on a nest of spinach leaves, and topped with avocado, blueberries, blackberries, and poppy seeds
- MASHED BEET
- * 1 medium sweet potato
- * 4 little beetroots
- FRESH BEET RICE SALAD
- * a handful of spinach leaves
- * 1 cup of cooked rice
- * 3 to 4 tbsp of cold mashed beetroot
- * 1/2 avocado
- * a few blueberries
- * 2 or 3 blackberries
- * poppy seeds to sprinkle on top of the avocado slices
- LEMON & MUSTARD DRESSING
- (to drizzle over the nest of spinach leaves)
- * 1/2 tsp salt
- * 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- * 1 tsp ground garlic
- * 1 tsp mustard
- * 1 tsp lemon juice
- * 1 tsp olive oil
★ Mashed Beet (using sweet potato)
- Cut the sweet potato and beetroots into cubes.
- Boil some water in a pan with a pinch of salt, and carefully add the sweet potato and beetroot cubes.
- Cook for about 40 minutes.
- Mash or quickly blend the steamed vegetables.
- Leave it to cool and place in the fridge once cold, so it’s ready to use for when making this salad.
★ The Lemon & Mustard Dressing
- Mix all of the ingredients together (in their order of appearance on the ingredients’ list).
★ The Fresh Beet Rice Salad & Its Topping
- In a soup plate or a bowl, take a handful of fresh spinach leaves to make a little nest.
- Drizzle some of the lemon & mustard dressing over it.
- Mix the cup of cold cooked rice and the mashed beets well, and cover the nest of spinach leaves with the mixture.
- Slice your 1/2 avocado and place on top.
- Add 2 or 3 blackberries, as well as a few blueberries.
- Sprinkle some poppy seeds on your avocado slices, and the it’s ready to serve!