Wow! I’m finally releasing this post I was really looking forward to writing! I promised some of my readers another interview with a cast member of Les Misérables, and it was obvious to me to choose Celinde, as she is one of my three favourite performers of the former cast (I’m by the way talking about it a little bit more in this post here :)… in case you would have missed it ^^ !!!).
Celinde is an amazing performer! She was playing Fantine in Les Misérables and is about to play Jenny in Love Story. This girl is just brilliant! As I have already written it in another post, her voice is GOLD… I mean it sounds like gold (if it makes sense to you?!)! Every note is beautiful and makes each second of a performance magic! When you listen to her, you’re like in a completely different world! Her voice and the way she sings is so marvellously exquisite & angelic & pure that you feel it can’t be real… Not even after a second, you’re not in this world anymore… A second is well enough for her to cast her magic spell, and this spell is not casted with a wand… but with a voice!
Having said that, I think I’ll try to plan a little trip to Holland to go see her Jenny ;)! And I actually hope most of my readers will try to do the same, because she’s way worth it!!!
With this, let’s focus on the main point of this article… her interview! Or slightly E-Interview! Indeed, it was too complicated for both of us to meet, so I effectively couldn’t do the same as with Jamie’s interview :/! It’s true to say that I prefer interviewing someone who is in front of me, but one can sometimes not manage to do everything they want so… :(! I would have loved to meet her, as I think she’s a very nice person and as my first interview with a member of this very friendly-looking former cast went pretty well (I think I can say that ^^, it was a really lovely time), but also as she is keen on horse riding, well… I think we could have understood each other :p!!
1. Who is Celinde Schoenmaker?
Celinde schoenmaker is a 24 year old dutchie who likes to sing and act !
2. Have you always wanted to have a career in musical theatre?
Yes, ever since I was about 8 years old and started as Tessie in Annie the musical!
3. How would you qualify the importance of musical theatre in your life?
VERY important, it’s my big love!
4. Every little girl has a dream… what was yours?
Becoming a vet! Haha, and then a pilot and then I thought… No I gotta do something on stage!
5. How did you come to play the role of Fantine in Les Misérables in London?
I auditioned for it! Came over when I heard they were auditioning.
6. How would you describe what/how you felt when you learnt you were coming to the West End?
Oh wow, that was the best feeling in the world!!! It’s any actors dream to be on West End at some point in your career. So I felt incredibly lucky!
7. What did this experience bring you eventually? Professionally or/and personally speaking?
I mean, as a performer I gained my first bit of experience, ’cause I only graduated a year ago. It was great for me to stand on my own, to feet again, after having spent 4 years at drama school.
8. What is Celinde Schoenmaker’s typical day of work?
Ohhh that changed a bit now because I’m waiting for Love story to start. But a typical day would be… me getting up late, getting breakfast, talking with some friends on Facetime or Skype (if I’m working abroad), going to the gym, getting some food, and then going to do the show! But because we’re touring with Love Story, I think it might be a bit different time-wise.
9. Do you have a kind of « special routine » or little tips so as to get ready before the shows?
Always vocal warm up, and I drink water…. other than that if the show’s really in my body, I don’t have to prepare for hours!
10. What do you like the most about your job?
I LOVE singing on stage and sharing my part of the story with the audience. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it.
11. Among all the shows you’ve been in, is there one you particularly really fancied?
LES MIS of course! Because it was my first job after drama school and I’ve loved the show since I was a little girl. Also, Fantine was my dream role !
12. Do you have a favourite musical? If yes, which one? Is there a particular sort of musicals you really like? (regarding the main themes of a musical)
LES MIS! I think it’s the mother of all musicals.
13. In Les Mis… Who is your favourite character? Would you have rather played another character that would maybe have been closer to you? What’s your favourite song? And which song of that show speaks the most to you?
I think…. Javert, just because I would love to sing Javert’s Suicide! Fantine was always the one part I wanted to play. I think my favorite song of the show is of course I dreamed a dream and…. the Confrontation.
14. Do you have hobbies? Things you like doing (apart from singing ^^)?
I LOVE CYCLING! In Holland I cycle everywhere. Ehm, I also love dancing, and I’ve had a horse for a long time but had to stop when I was 18 when I went to England. But I still love to do that!
15. Do you have any project after that fantastic show? I heard you were going back to Netherlands?
I’m doing a Disney Concert in August and then in September I’m starting Love Story.
16. I’ve also got a few questions from your Twitter Fan page @CelindeSHair :
a. What is your vocal range?
Vocal range: high soprano.
We can by the way admire another performance of Celinde in the video below! ;)
b. What is your character like in LOVE STORY? (as it apparently is what’s next for you^^)
Jenny is a strong & bright young woman who is a student at Radcliff University, falls in love with Oliver, she gives up her dream of becoming a professional musician to be with him but then she gets sick…
And here it is my lovely, the very expected interview of Celinde Schoenamker :)! I’m more than happy to have done that and I would like to thank Celinde a lot for taking some of her time to answer all my questions! That’s very kind of you, so thanks a lot!!! Xxx
Another interview of the amazing Celinde –>
Keep holding on to what you love & enjoy the ride of life ;)